Yield: 4 dozen frosted cookies Prep 1 hr 30 mins Start to Finish 1 hr 30 mins
- 4 dozen sugar cookies (we baked 2-, 2-1/2- and 3-inch rounds)
- 1 pound (4 cups) confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons meringue powder or powdered egg whites
- Gel paste food coloring
1. With an electric mixer, mix sugar, meringue powder and 1/2 cup water on low speed, scraping sides of bowl until icing thickens to a yogurt-like consistency, about 4 min.
2. Divide icing among three bowls and tint black, green and orange. Transfer to piping bags fitted with #3 plain tips and secure bag ends with rubber bands to prevent drying
3. Create a smooth layer of icing by outlining each cookie first; then pipe in the center area (icing will run together). Let dry about 10 min before adding spirals. Allow icing to set about 3 hr or overnight. Store covered for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 2 months. Makes 4 dozen frosted cookies.
- Fat, total(g)3,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Monosaturated fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet