Stovetop Gingerbread Dough
Yield: half of one house Prep 30 mins Bake 325°F 30 mins each batch Start to Finish 1 hr
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin-pie spice
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
1. Prepare templates; set aside. Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and pumpkin-pie spice; set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, melt shortening over medium-high heat. Whisk in sugar, molasses and corn syrup; remove from heat and stir in dry ingredients.
3. Heat oven to 325 degrees F with two racks centered. While dough is still warm, divide in half and roll each piece 3/8 inch thick. Use flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Cut out house pieces and 4 flowers with cookie cutters. Do not move house pieces; transfer cut pieces on parchment to a baking sheet. Scraps can be kneaded and re-rolled once more.
4. Bake, 2 sheets at a time, for 25 min, rotating after 15 min. Transfer gingerbread on parchment to a flat surface to cool completely. Makes half of one house.