Yield: about 8 dozen stars or 12 dozen diamonds Prep 50 mins Chill 4 hrs Bake 300°F 12 mins
- 1 1/3 cups hazelnuts, toasted and skinned
- 1 cup whole blanched almonds, toasted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed almond paste
- 1/2 cup packed chopped candied lemon peel
- 1/2 cup packed chopped candied orange peel
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar (for rolling dough)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1 pound box confectioners' sugar
1. Process hazelnuts, almonds, granulated sugar, almond paste, lemon and orange peels, cinnamon, and salt in a food processor until finely ground. Add egg whites and process, pulsing until dough begins to clump and come together, 30 seconds. Transfer dough to a work surface and shape into a rectangle. Wrap and refrigerate 4 to 24 hours.
2. Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper. Divide dough in half. Between 2 sheets of waxed paper dusted with confectioners' sugar, roll one piece of dough into a 12x8-inch rectangle. Cut out dough with a 2-inch star-shaped cookie cutter (or rectangle crosswise into twelve 1-inch-wide strips, then cut strips diagonally at 1-inch intervals to form diamonds). Arrange cookies 1/2 inch apart on prepared sheets. Repeat with remaining dough, rerolling and cutting scraps.
3. For meringue topping, beat egg whites and 3 cups confectioners' sugar in mixer bowl on low speed just until combined. At high speed, beat meringue to soft peaks, 5 minutes. Beat in remaining confectioners' sugar (about 1 cup) to very stiff peaks, 2 to 3 minutes more.
4. Spoon a small amount of the meringue into a pastry bag fitted with 1/4-inch star tip. Decoratively pipe meringue over cookies. Bake 12 to 13 minutes, until dough is slightly firm and meringue is hardened (just barely tinged with color). Cool cookies on wire racks. Repeat with remaining dough and meringue. Transfer cookies to an airtight container and let stand overnight. Makes about 8 dozen stars or 12 dozen diamonds.
Make Ahead Tip
- Cookies may be stored in airtight container at room temperature up to 2 weeks.
- Nutrition facts are per one 2-inch star cookie.
- Fat, total(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet