Creamy Tomato Artichoke Soup
- 1 28 ounce can whole tomatoes in puree
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup diced sweet onion, such as Vidalia
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced scallions, white and green parts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 9 ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
1. Pour tomatoes and puree into a bowl, then break up into small pieces with a wooden spoon or kitchen shears; set aside. Melt butter in a 6-qt pot over medium heat. Add the onion, scallions, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are just soft, 3 to 5 min. Add the tomato paste and flour and stir about 1 min to cook the flour and heat through. Stir in broth, milk, artichokes, salt, and tomatoes in puree.
2. Bring soup to a simmer but do not boil. Cover pot and simmer, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and flavors have blended, 15 to 20 min.
3. Add cheese and cream, stirring until cheese is melted. Serve soup topped with extra sliced scallions if desired. The soup can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. Soup will thicken when chilled; thin with milk or broth. Do not freeze.
- Tapenade Toasts With Roasted Vegetables
- Fat, total(g)13,
- sat. fat(g)8,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet