Crowd-sourced Awesome Sausage, Apple and Cranberry Stuffing
Yield: 8 cups Prep 25 mins Bake 350°F 48 mins Start to Finish 1 hr 13 mins
- 1 1/2 cups (2 slices) cubed whole wheat bread
- 3 3/4 cups (4 slices) cubed white bread
- 1 pound ground pork or turkey sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried sage, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, cored and chopped
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cooked turkey liver, finely chopped, optional
- 3/4 cup turkey or chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the white and whole wheat bread cubes in a single layer in a 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan; bake until evenly toasted, 5 to 7 min, stirring once. Transfer toasted bread cubes to a large bowl.
2. In a large skillet, cook the sausage and onions over medium heat, stirring and breaking up the lumps until evenly browned, about 12 min. Add the celery, sage, rosemary, and thyme; cook, stirring, to blend flavors, 2 min more.
3. Pour sausage mixture over bread in bowl. Add chopped apples, dried cranberries, parsley, and liver. Drizzle with turkey stock and melted butter and mix lightly. Transfer to a 2-qt casserole dish and bake, covered, until hot, 30 min; remove foil and bake until top is golden, 10 min more.
- Servings Per Recipe 10
- Fat, total(g)16,
- sat. fat(g)6,
- Monosaturated fat(g)1,
- Polyunsaturated fat(g)1,
- vit. A(IU)437,
- vit. C(mg)5,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6)(mg)0,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!