Mini Lemon Tea Cakes with Honey Cream Cheese Frosting
Yield: 48 mini tea cakes Prep 25 mins Bake 325°F 10 mins per batch
- 2 lemon tea bags
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 ounce package (8 oz.) cream cheese
- 1 pound box (1 lb.) confectioners sugar
- 6 tablespoons honey
1. Heat oven to 325 degree F. Steep tea in water for 10 minutes. Fill 24 two-inch mini muffin pan cups with paper liners.* Set aside.
2. Sift flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in center and whisk in tea, egg yolks, oil, peel, juice, and vanilla until smooth.
3. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a large mixing bowl on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into four-egg yolk mixture. Divide by rounded tablespoonfuls into prepared muffin pan cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of one mini cake comes out clean, about 10 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack, 5 minutes. Remove mini-cakes from pan. Refill muffin pan cups with paper liners and repeat with remaining batter.
4. Meanwhile, make frosting. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add half of the confectioners sugar and beat at low speed until well combined. Continue beating in remaining sugar and honey until spreadable. Frost each cooled cake with a rounded teaspoonful of frosting. Makes 48 mini tea cakes.
- Fat, total(g)3,
- sat. fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet