Rich Chocolate Cupcakes
Yield: 12 standard or 48 mini cupcakes Prep 35 mins Start to Finish 1 hr 20 mins
- 12 standard or 48 mini paper baking cups
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder1/2
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F and arrange rack in center. Line 1 (12-cup) muffin pan or 2 (24-cup) mini muffin pans with baking cups.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
3. Melt together butter, chocolate, and cocoa powder in a small heatproof bowl set over a small pan filled with 1/2 inch of gently boiling water (water should not touch bowl). Stir until mixture is smooth. Remove bowl from pan and let cool 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, beat together sugar, eggs, and extract in a large bowl on high speed until light fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add chocolate mixture and beat until combined well.
5. Reduce speed to low; alternately add flour mixture and sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating until just combined. Spoon batter into cups, filling three-quarters of the way up sides and smoothing tops with back of spoon.
6. Bake until cupcakes spring back when pressed gently, 22 to 24 minutes for standard, 16 to 18 minutes for minis. Transfer cupcakes in pan to rack and let cool 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and place on racks to cool completely before frosting. Makes 12 standard or 48 mini cupcakes.