- 1 3/4 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus additional for baking sheets
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for dusting
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups plus 3 tablespoons half-and-half
- Sanding sugar, for sprinkling
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh lime zest
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 2 1/2 cups chilled heavy cream, beaten to soft peaks
1. Preheat oven to 400 degree F and lightly butter 2 large baking sheets.
2. Whisk together flour, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, the baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add butter and, using fingertips, rub into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Using a fork, stir in 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons half-and-half just until a dough forms; transfer to a lightly floured surface. Pat dough into a 10-inch disc (1 inch thick). Using a 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter, cut into rounds, repatting scraps to make 17. Transfer rounds to prepared pans, placing 1 inch apart, and brush tops with remaining 1 tablespoon half-and-half. Sprinkle tops with sanding sugar and bake in upper and lower thirds of oven, switching positions halfway through, until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Transfer shortcakes on sheets to racks to cool.
3. Meanwhile, toss blueberries with lime juice, lime zest, and 1/4 cup granulated sugar in a large bowl. Toss strawberries with lemon juice, lemon zest, and remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar in another large bowl. Let both stand 20 minutes at room temperature.
4. To serve, horizontally cut shortcakes in half, add a dollop of whipped cream and berries to bottom halves, and cover with tops. Makes 17 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 17
- Fat, total(g)27,
- sat. fat(g)17,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!