Light Chocolate Mousse
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares, chopped
- 1 tablespoon creme de cocoa or coffee-flavored liqueur, optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 6 egg whites
1. Gradually whisk milk into cocoa in small saucepan until smooth. Bring to boil, stirring. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until melted. Stir in creme de cocoa, if desired and vanilla. Cool.
2. Combine sugar and water in another small saucepan. Boil until syrup reaches 238 degrees F. (soft ball stage) on candy thermometer. When syrup reaches 230 degrees F., begin beating egg whites in large standing mixer bowl at medium-low speed. Increase mixer speed to high. When soft peeks begin to form, gradually pour hot sugar syrup into whites in thin stream. Continue beating until cool, 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Whisk one quarter of meringue into chocolate; gradually beat chocolate mixture back into meringue. Spoon into 8 cups or ramekins. Cover and freeze 4 hours or overnight. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)5,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!