Palacinke (Sweet Crepes with Chocolate-Walnut Filling)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup club soda
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Vegetable oil
- 6 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, divided
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Confectioners sugar
1. In a large bowl whisk eggs. Add milk, club soda, sugar, rum, vanilla, and salt, blending until sugar dissolves. Gradually sift in flour to form a batter. Add olive oil. Stir in orange and lemon peels.
2. In a 6- to 7-inch nonstick pan over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, pouring off the excess. Pour a scant 1/4 cup of batter into pan, tilting it to distribute batter as evenly as possible. Return pan to heat, reduce heat to medium and cook crepe until lightly browned, 30 to 40 seconds. Carefully flip crepe with a spatula and cook the second side until brown spots appear, about 30 seconds more. Transfer crepe to a warmed platter. Repeat with remaining batter, re-oiling the pan only as necessary. Stack the finished crepes and keep warm under a mixing bowl.Make chocolate-walnut filling::
3. Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot (not boiling) water. Stir chocolate to melt evenly. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup of walnuts.
4. Spread a generous tablespoon of the chocolate mixture over half of a crepe. Fold the other half over the chocolate, then fold crepe in half again to form a triangle. Repeat.
5. To serve, arrange four crepes on each plate. Dollop with whipped cream and sprinkle with remaining walnuts and confectioners sugar. Serve immediately. Makes 9 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 9
- Fat, total(g)41,
- sat. fat(g)12,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!