This strawberry and rhubarb dessert gets a savory twist with the addition of fresh thyme, toasted almonds, and orange peel.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3 pints fresh strawberries, hulled
- 2 pounds fresh rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces or 7 cups frozen cut-up rhubarb*
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons instant tapioca
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, optional
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- Whipped cream, optional
1. For the topping, combine flour, brown sugar, almonds and butter in bowl until mixture just begins to hold together and resembles coarse crumbs. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. For the filling, halve small and quarter large strawberries, transfer to large bowl. Stir in rhubarb, granulated sugar, tapioca, thyme and orange peel; let stand 15 minutes.
3. Lightly butter a shallow 3-quart baking dish. Pour filling into dish. Sprinkle topping evenly over filling. Bake until bubbly and topping is golden, 60 to 75 minutes. Cool on wire rack 45 to 60 minutes before serving. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
Note*To use frozen rhubarb:
- Prepare recipe as directed except spread frozen rhubarb in a single layer on a cookie sheet; let stand 30 minutes. Increase tapioca to 1/4 cup; combine in bowl with strawberries, sugar, orange peel and thyme, if desired. Let stand 15 minutes. Stir in rhubarb. Increase baking time to 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)15,
- sat. fat(g)8,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet