- 6 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1/4 tablespoon plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups ground walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 pint (16 oz.) strawberries, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam
- 2 cups heavy or whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 375 degree F. Grease a 10x15-inch jelly-roll pan. Line pan with waxed paper and grease the waxed paper. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine egg whites and 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. In another large mixing bowl, combine egg yolks and maple syrup. Beat on high speed until egg yolks are thick and the consistency of a soft pudding, about 3 minutes. Fold walnuts into the egg yolk mixture. In a small bowl, stir together flour and baking powder with a wire whisk. Fold flour mixture into egg yolk mixture. Finally, gently fold in egg whites. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake until top is golden brown and center springs back slightly when touched, about 15 to 20 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes.
3. Place a clean kitchen towel on a work surface and sprinkle it well with confectioners' sugar. Invert pan over towel to remove cake. Carefully peel off and discard waxed paper. Let cake cool completely, then cut cake crosswise into 4 equal rectangles, about 3-1/2 x 10-inches each.
4. In a small bowl, combine strawberries and jam. In a large mixing bowl on medium speed, beat heavy cream, remaining granulated sugar and vanilla extract until soft peaks form. To assemble torte, place one cake layer on a serving platter. Spread 1/2 cup whipped cream evenly over top and arrange 1/4 of the sliced strawberries over whipped cream. Repeat process with 2 more cake layers. Top with final layer, then frost top of cake with remaining whipped cream. Garnish with remaining strawberries. Makes 10 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 10
- Fat, total(g)33,
- sat. fat(g)13,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!