Cranberry-Spice Sachets for Mulled Wine
- 2 cups dried cranberries, divided
- 16 cinnamon sticks, divided
- 16 candied orange peel strips, divided
- 1 cup crystallized ginger, divided
- 1 bottle (1 liter) fruity red wine (such as Beaujolais) or 1/2 gallon apple cider or unfiltered natural apple juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
1. For the cranberry-spice bags, combine 1/4 cup cranberries, 2 cinnamon sticks, 2 candied orange peel strips, and 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger in each of eight decorative bags. Store at room temperature up to 1 month. Makes enough for 8 batches of mulled wine or cider.
2. For the mulled wine, bring the contents of one bag of spices and the wine to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and barely simmer 30 minutes, until flavor is infused into wine; stir in sugar until dissolved. Strain. Makes 6 servings.To make mulled cider::
3. Prepare as directed above except omit the sugar.