- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 12 corn tortillas, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cans (4-1/2 oz. each) chopped green chilies
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk or sour milk*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-low heat; add onions and garlic and cook 5 minutes or until tender.
2. Grease an 11x7-inch baking dish; spread half the tortillas along bottom of baking dish. Sprinkle half the cheese and 1 can chilies over top. Sprinkle onion mixture over chilies. Repeat layering remaining tortillas, cheese and chilies.
3. Whisk eggs, buttermilk, salt, pepper, cumin and oregano in medium bowl. Pour over casserole. Bake 45 minutes or until set and browned on top. Makes 6 servings.
- To make 2 cups sour milk, place 2 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 2 cups liquid; stir. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes before using it in a recipe.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)20,
- sat. fat(g)8,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet