- 1 15 ounce container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons dry unflavored bread crumbs
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 8 ounce box dried manicotti or large shells, cooked according to package directions
- 2 cups Basic Tomato Sauce (see recipe below), divided
1. Heat oven to 450 degree F. Combine ricotta, parsley, Parmesan, bread crumbs, egg whites, garlic, salt, and pepper in medium bowl. Spoon filling sparingly into each manicotti.
2. Spread 1/2 cup of the Basic Tomato Sauce in bottom of 13x9-inch baking pan. Arrange manicotti on top. Spread remaining 1-1/2 cups sauce over manicotti and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan. Cover and bake 15 minutes. Makes 4 servings.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare Basic Tomato Sauce. Spoon into 2-cup freezer proof containers and freeze up to 3 months.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)11,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Yield: 8 cups Prep 5 mins Start to Finish 50 mins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounce can tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper,
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
1. Heat olive oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots; cook, stirring frequently, until soft, 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir crushed tomatoes, tomato puree, parsley, sugar to taste, salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper, thyme, and oregano. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 20 minutes. Makes 8 cups.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!