Yield: 50 appetizers Prep 30 mins Bake 375°F 12 mins
- 1 package (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups shredded pepper-jack cheese (6 oz.)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and ground
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 6 - 10 drops red-pepper sauce
- 20 sheets phyllo dough
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
1. Heat oven to 375 degree F. Lightly grease 2 large cookie sheets. Set aside.
2. Beat cream cheese in medium bowl on medium speed of electric mixer until smooth. Stir in pepper-jack cheese and ricotta, parsley, walnuts, egg, and pepper sauce until evenly combined.
3. Place one phyllo sheet on work surface; brush lightly with butter. Top with second phyllo sheet; brush with butter (keep remaining phyllo covered). With sharp knife, cut crosswise into five 3-inch-wide strips. Place 1 rounded teaspoon cheese mixture on the end of each strip. Fold up around filling to form triangle (flag-style). Transfer seam side down to prepared cookie sheet; brush tops lightly with butter. Repeat with remaining phyllo, butter and filling.
4. Bake triangles 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Serve warm. Makes 50 appetizers.
Make Ahead Tip
- Assemble empanadas. Freeze 1 hour on cookie sheets. Transfer to resealable plastic storage bags and freeze up to 1 month. Transfer frozen empanadas seam side down to greased cookie sheet; brush tops lightly with butter. Bake triangles 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Fat, total(g)6,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!