Spiced Meringues with Lemon Curd and Strawberries
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (no substitutions), cut up
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled, divided
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1. Heat oven to 200 degree F. Grease and flour 2 cookie sheets. Cut out a paper triangle with 4-inch sides as a guide; place on cookie sheets and trace 12 triangles with finger. Set aside.
2. Sift confectioners' sugar and coriander together into bowl. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar in large bowl with electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add granulated sugar and continue beating to stiff peaks. Fold in confectioners' sugar mixture until blended.
3. Spoon meringue into pastry bag fitted with 1/2-inch plain or star tip. Pipe onto prepared triangles on cookie sheets, smoothing with spatula or cake comb if necessary. Bake 2 hours or until crisp, rotating cookie sheets once. Cool and remove from pans. Makes 1 dozen meringue triangles.Make Lemon Curd::
4. Meanwhile, combine eggs, sugar, and lemon juice in heavy saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until mixture is very thick, 20 minutes (do not boil). Remove from heat; strain through fine sieve into bowl. Stir in butter. Cover and refrigerate until cold. Makes 1-1/2 cups.
5. Process 1 pint strawberries and the sugar in blender or food processor until smooth. Slice remaining berries.
6. To serve, spoon scant 1/4 cup strawberry sauce on each of 6 dessert plates. Layer each with a meringue triangle, 1/4 cup lemon curd, and 1/4 cup sliced berries; top with remaining meringues. Makes 6 servings.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare Meringues. Cool. Store in airtight container up to 1 week.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)11,
- sat. fat(g)6,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!