Spicy Cheese Biscotti
Yield: 24 biscotti Prep 25 mins Bake 325°F1 hr Cool 10 mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch ground red pepper
- 2 medium jalapeno chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a large cookie sheet.
2. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, salt, cumin and red pepper in large bowl. Stir in cheese and jalapeno.
3. Combine butter, water and egg in small bowl. Stir into dry ingredients until mixture forms a ball. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth. Roll into a 13x2-inch log. Transfer to cookie sheet; flatten slightly.
4. Bake 30 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
5. Cut the log on an angle with a serrated knife into twenty-four 1/2-inch-thick slices. Lay slices flat on cookie sheet. Bake 15 minutes; turn and bake 15 minutes more or until crisp. Cool. Makes 24 biscotti.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare biscotti. Cool. Cover and freeze up to 2 weeks. Thaw at room temperature 3 hours before serving.
- Fat, total(g)3,
- sat. fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet