Yield: 10 cups Prep 15 mins Start to Finish 30 mins
- 10 large egg whites
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 cups unsalted butter, cut into pieces, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Whisk together egg whites and sugar in a heatproof mixing bowl over a pan of simmering water until sugar has dissolved, about 5 min. Test by rubbing the mixture between your fingers -- you shouldn't feel any sugar crystals.
2. Transfer bowl to the mixer stand with whisk attachment or use a handheld mixer and beat on high until it cools and stiff peaks form, 10 to 12 min.
3. Reduce speed to medium high and add butter a little at a time. (Buttercream may curdle but will become smooth as you continue to beat it.) Add vanilla.
4. Use within a few hours or refrigerate up to a week. Before using, bring to room temperature and beat on low until smooth. Makes 10 cups.
- Fat, total(g)61,
- sat. fat(g)39,
- Monosaturated fat(g)16,
- Polyunsaturated fat(g)2,
- vit. A(IU)1846,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12)(µg)0,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!