Touch of Black Buttercream
Yield: 10 cups Prep 25 mins Start to Finish 25 mins
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 9 large egg whites
- 2 pounds unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. In a medium heatproof bowl set over simmering water, combine sugar and egg whites; stir until hot and sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a mixer bowl and beat to firm peaks, about 8 minutes. While mixer is running, add butter, a few tbsp. at a time, until completely combined. Reduce speed to low; beat in chocolate and extract. Use immediately. (Can be made ahead. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Bring to room temperature, then beat on low speed until smooth before using.) Makes 10 cups.
- Fat, total(g)38,
- sat. fat(g)24,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!