Cinnamon-Maple Ice Cream
Yield: Makes 1 quart Prep 30 mins Freeze 2 hrs 40 mins Stand 30 mins
- 2 cups heavy or whipping cream
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 5 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 4 large egg yolks
1. Combine cream, milk and cinnamon sticks in large saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat until mixture forms small bubbles around edge of pan, 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 30 minutes. Discard cinnamon sticks.
2. Combine sugar, ground cinnamon and salt in medium bowl; whisk in syrup and yolks. Reheat cream mixture until very hot. Slowly whisk half of hot cream into egg mixture until blended. Return mixture to saucepan. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until mixture is slightly thickened (170 degrees F. on candy thermometer). Transfer to bowl and refrigerate until cold, 2 hours or overnight.
3. Transfer custard to 2-quart ice-cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers directions. Transfer to freezer and freeze until firm, 2 hours or overnight. Makes 1 quart.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare ice cream. Transfer to freezer-proof container and freeze up to 1 week.
- Fat, total(g)27,
- sat. fat(g)16,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet