Mixed Berry Granita
Yield: 4 cups Prep 10 mins Cool 45 mins Freeze 1 hr 30 mins Stand 15 mins
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 sprigs fresh mint
- 2 one-inch-strips lemon peel
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1. Bring water, sugar, mint, and lemon peel to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 15 minutes. Transfer syrup to medium bowl and refrigerate until cool, 45 minutes. Discard mint and lemon peel.
2. Meanwhile, place a metal 13x9-inch baking pan and a metal spoon in the freezer.
3. Puree blueberries and raspberries in a food processor until smooth. Strain berry puree through a fine sieve over bowl of syrup. Add the lemon juice and stir until combined. Pour mixture into chilled pan.
4. Freeze berry mixture until ice crystals form around edges of pan, about 30 minutes. With the chilled spoon, scrape the ice crystals from edges and stir into the mixture. freeze mixture 1 to 1-1/2 hours more, stirring every 30 minutes, until all of the liquid is frozen. For a fluffy consistency, stir granita mixture with tines of fork just before serving. Makes 4 cups (8, 1/2-cup servings).
Make Ahead Tip
- Line pan with plastic wrap, allowing a 1 inch excess to hang over sides. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Freeze overnight. Lift granita out of pan by plastic overhang and transfer some of the mixture to a food processor. Pulse 2 or 3 times, until coarsely chopped, do not overprocess or mixture will get too soft. Continue processing remaining mixture.)
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet