Sinful Strawberry Ice Cream
Yield: 5 cups Prep 20 mins plus freezing Cook 7 mins plus cooling
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 large egg yolks
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl, combine strawberries, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and lemon juice. Crush with a potato masher until strawberries are almost completely pureed (or pulse in a blender or food processor). Set aside.
2. In a 2-quart saucepan, bring half-and-half cream and remaining sugar to a boil over high heat. In a medium bowl, combine egg yolks and salt. Pour 1/2 cup of the hot half-and-half mixture into the egg yolks, beating with a wire whisk the whole time.
3. Pour this mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula just until mixture coats the back of the spatula, about 1 to 2 minutes. Do not let mixture come to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream and vanilla. Let mixture cool completely, about 15 minutes. Stir in strawberry mixture. Transfer mixture to ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Makes 5 cups.
- Servings Per Recipe 10
- Fat, total(g)12,
- sat. fat(g)7,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!