Italian Oven Sub
- 1 1 pound loaf sourdough or country bread; unsliced
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomato spread
- 1/2 pound sliced provolone
- 1/4 pound sliced salami
- 1/2 pound sliced ham or turkey
- 1/4 pound sliced sopressata
- 1/4 pound sliced mozzarella
- 1/2 cup jarred mild pepperoncini peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice bread into about 16 thin slices, stopping about 1/4 inch from the bottom of the loaf so that the slices remain joined. Overlap 2 pieces of aluminum foil to make a big square and spray with cooking spray. Place bread on foil.
2. Spread every other slice of bread with sun-dried tomato spread to create 8 "sandwiches". Make filling by layering meat and cheese into 8 bundles: Layer 2 slices of provolone with a slice of salami, ham and sopressata and top with sliced mozzarella, pepperoncini and olives; fold each bundle in half and wedge into each sandwich. Wrap entire loaf in foil and place on a baking sheet.
3. Bake loaf until cheese is melted all the way through, 35-45 minutes. To serve, cut each sandwich from the loaf.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!