Leg of Lamb with Pistachio Couscous
- 1 6 - 8 pound leg of lamb, aitchbone removed by butcher, trimmed
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 9 garlic cloves (7 cloves sliced and 2 finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cups couscous
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped, toasted pistachios
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/2 cup chopped scallion
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 400 degree F. Rinse and pat lamb dry. Season with salt and pepper; let stand at room temperature 1 hour.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy roasting pan placed over 2 burners over moderately high heat. Brown lamb on both sides, about 7 minutes. Turn lamb fat side up and cut 1-inch slits in top about 1-1/2 inches apart. Push garlic slices into slits. Combine honey, juice, rosemary, and 2 tablespoons oil in a bowl; reserve for basting. Roast lamb in middle of oven, basting halfway through with honey mixture (adding water, as needed, to bottom of pan if dry), until an instant-read thermometer inserted by 2 inches into thickest part of lamb (not touching bone) registers 125 degree F for medium, 1 to 1-1/4 hours. Transfer lamb in pan to rack; let stand 15 minutes before carving into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
3. Meanwhile, bring 2-1/2 cups water to boil with chopped garlic and stir in couscous. Immediately cover and remove pan from heat. Let couscous stand, covered, 5 minutes. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, the pistachios, apricots, currants, scallion, and zest; salt and pepper to taste. Stir with a fork to combine, breaking up any clumps of couscous.
4. Serve lamb with couscous and spoon any pan juices over meat. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)44,
- sat. fat(g)16,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!