Spring Daisy Cake
- 1/2 1 pound (8 oz) box prepared white fondant
- Gel-paste food coloring
- 2 8 inches round cake layers (your favorite yellow cake recipe)
- 1 recipe Fluffy Vanilla Frosting, below
1. Divide fondant in half and knead yellow coloring into one half, using a light dusting of cornstarch to prevent sticking. Working with one color at a time, roll both white and yellow fondants into thin sheets, about 1/8 inch thick. Cut out small flowers. (Daisy cookie cutter from winbeckler.com.)
2. Knead scraps together to soften and make small balls; moisten with water and press a ball into the center of each flower. Dry flowers overnight on a wire rack to give them shape. Note: While working with one piece of fondant, you should always keep the other piece covered to prevent it from drying out.
3. Trim domed tops from cakes and place one cake on a serving platter. Color 2 cups frosting dark green and the remaining frosting light green. Cover cake layer on platter with light green frosting about inch thick, then top with second cake. Ice entire cake with light green frosting. Use extra frosting in a piping bag with a #5 plain tip to create a border on the bottom edge.
4. Use dark green icing in a piping bag with a #10 or #12 plain tip to pipe grass points on the top of the entire cake. Top with fondant flowers. Makes 10 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 10
- Fat, total(g)50,
- sat. fat(g)26,
- Monosaturated fat(g)13,
- Polyunsaturated fat(g)7,
- vit. A(IU)1118,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12)(µg)0,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Yield: 5 cups
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 6 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- a pinch of salt
1. Beat butter until creamy, about 2 min. Add sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well and scraping down sides of bowl. Beat in vanilla and salt; stir until smooth. Makes 5 cups.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!