Little Corn Dogs
- 1 quart canola oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup crumbled cooked bacon (about 9 strips)
- 1 14 ounce package cocktail wieners, such as Lit'l Smokies
- 40 toothpicks
1. In a medium pot fitted with a deep-fry thermometer heat oil to 365 degrees F. In a bowl stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, cayenne pepper, chili powder, salt, white pepper, baking powder and baking soda. Stir in buttermilk, egg and honey and gently whisk until smooth. Fold in bacon.
2. Skewer each cocktail wiener on a toothpick or cocktail skewer. Working in small batches, dip and roll wieners in batter until fully coated; carefully drop corn dogs, toothpick and all, into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, flipping once, 3 to 4 min. Remove with tongs and allow to drain on paper towels.
- Servings Per Recipe 40
- Fat, total(g)9,
- Mark as Free Exchange()0,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!