- 3 ancho chiles
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 pounds ground round (or 2 pounds chuck shoulder cut into 3/4-inch cubes)
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno chile
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 14 1/2ounce cans chicken broth
- 1/4 cup masa harina
- Sour cream, lime wedges, warm flour or corn tortillas, sliced green onions and shredded cheese, for garnish
1. Place ancho chiles in a medium bowl; add enough hot water to cover. Let stand until softened, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain chiles; discard seeds and stems. Finely chop and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoons oil in medium Dutch oven over high heat. Brown half the beef, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate with slotted spoon. Discard all but 2 teaspoons drippings, then brown remaining beef.
3. Discard drippings; wipe out bottom of pan with paper towels. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to Dutch oven. Cook onions, garlic, cumin and salt over medium heat until onions soften, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in chopped ancho and jalapeno chiles; cook 1 minute, until jalapeno softens. Add beef, tomato paste and broth. Add masa harina and stir well. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour 15 minutes, until chili has thickened. Serve with sour cream, lime wedges, tortillas, green onions and shredded cheese, if desired.
- To make chili with cubed beef: Follow directions above, except brown half the beef, 5 minutes. Transfer to plate with slotted spoon. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil to drippings and brown remaining beef. Simmer chili, partially covered, 1-1/2 to 2 hours, until beef is fork-tender.
TipWhere to get Ancho chiles:
- Available in many supermarkets or can be ordered from Chile TodayHot Tamale, 800-468-7377.
TipWhere to get masa harina:
- Masa harina is available in many supermarkets or can be ordered from The Bakers Catalogue, 800-827-6836.
- Nutrition facts per serving with ground beef, without garnishes: 365 calories, 23 g total fat, 8 g saturated fat, 87 mg cholesterol, 751 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrates, 29 g protein, 40 mg calcium, 2.5 g fiber.
- Nutrition facts per serving with cubed beef, without garnishes: 245 calories, 11 g total fat, 3 g saturated fat, 69 mg cholesterol, 753 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrates, 27 g protein, 40 mg calcium, 2.5 g fiber.