- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 fresh serrano or jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped,* or 2 tablespoons canned diced green chile peppers
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1/2 teaspoon minced) or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound lean ground beef or uncooked ground turkey breast
- 2 whole wheat pitas, halved
- 1/4 cup Yogurt and Cucumber Sauce (see Recipe Center)
1. In a medium bowl combine onion, chile pepper, mint, cumin, garlic, and kosher salt. Add the meat; mix well. Shape into four 3/4-inch-thick patties.
2. For a charcoal grill, place patties on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 14 to 18 minutes or until meat is done (160 degrees F for beef; 165 degrees F for turkey), turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place patties on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
3. Serve each patty in a pita half with 1 tablespoon of the Yogurt and Cucumber Sauce. Makes: 4 servings
4. Place patties on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 14 to 18 minutes or until meat is done (160 degrees F for beef; 165 degrees F for turkey), turning once halfway through broiling.
- Because hot chile peppers contain oils that can burn your skin and eyes, wear rubber or plastic gloves when working with them. If your bare hands do touch the chile peppers, wash your hands well with soap and water.
- Place patties on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 14 to 18 minutes or until meat is done (160 degrees F for beef; 165 degrees F for turkey), turning once halfway through broiling.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)19,
- sat. fat(g)7,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!