Country Shells with Sausage, Cannellini Beans and Spinach
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 Spanish onion, diced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 14 1/2ounce can whole tomatoes in juice, chopped (reserve juice)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pound dried shells, penne, rigatoni or ziti
- 1 10 ounce bag fresh spinach
- 1 cup drained and rinsed canned cannellini beans or white beans
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy or whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
1. Heat 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat 1 minute. Add sausage and cook, breaking up with spoon until browned, 11 minutes. Remove to paper towels to drain.
2. Discard drippings from skillet; wipe clean. Add oil and heat over medium heat. Stir in carrot, celery and onion; cook 6 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomatoes and juice, wine, tomato paste and reserved sausage. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
3. Meanwhile, start to cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; reserve 1/4 cup pasta-cooking water.
4. Stir spinach, beans, parsley, the 1/4 cup Parmesan, the cream, salt, pepper and reserved pasta water into sauce. Cook over medium heat until hot and spinach has wilted, 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Toss sauce with pasta in large serving bowl. Garnish with additional grated Parmesan, if desired. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)22,
- sat. fat(g)8,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!