Eggplant and Beef Rigatoni
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 12 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 14 1/2ounce can whole tomatoes in puree
- 1 pound dried rigatoni or penne pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and mushrooms; cover and cook 4 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring frequently, 7 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Add beef, breaking up with spoon; cook until browned, 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer to bowl.
2. Add eggplant and broth to same skillet; cover and cook 5 minutes. Uncover and add garlic, salt, thyme and red pepper; cook 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Reduce heat to medium; add tomatoes and beef mixture, breaking up tomatoes with spoon. Cover and simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors. Toss with hot pasta and parsley in large serving bowl.
- Fat, total(g)11,
- sat. fat(g)4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!