- 5 pounds plum tomatoes, trimmed, halved, and seeded
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 medium eggplants, sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick
- 2 pounds Swiss chard or spinach
- 1/2 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 5 cups tiny cauliflower florets
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles*
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano (or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, plus 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1. Heat oven to 325 degree F. Toss tomatoes with 2 tablespoons of the oil, 3 teaspoons of the garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Arrange cut side down in two 15-1/2x10-1/2-inch jelly-roll pans. Roast 1-1/2 hours, rotating pans once. Puree one pan of tomatoes in blender until smooth.
2. Heat broiler. Toss eggplant, remaining 3 tablespoons oil, 3/4 teaspoon of the salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper in large bowl. Arrange mixture in single layer in jelly-roll pans. Broil 5 inches from heat source 6 to 8 minutes per side or until golden.
3. Meanwhile, separate chard stems from leaves and slice both very fine. Bring 1 cup water to boil in large saucepot. Add chard stems; cover and cook 5 minutes. Add leaves to pot and cook, covered, 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally; drain.
4. Cook sausage in large skillet over medium heat, 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon garlic and the red pepper; cook 30 seconds. Add cream and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to boil; boil until slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in chard.
5. Place cauliflower on steamer rack over boiling water. Cook just until tender, 8 minutes.
6. Heat oven to 350 degree F. Spread half the pureed tomatoes in bottom of 13x9-inch baking dish. Arrange 4 lasagne noodles in single layer on top, trimming to fit. Layer with eggplant, oregano, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, cauliflower, and mozzarella. Add second layer of lasagne noodles, then chard mixture, and third layer of noodles. Spread on remaining tomato puree and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan. Arrange roasted tomato halves, cut side up, evenly on top. Cover and bake 40 to 45 minutes. Makes 12 servings.
Make Ahead Tip
- Roast and puree tomatoes as directed. Cover and refrigerate tomatoes and sauce up to 24 hours. Or, assemble lasagna. Cover and refrigerate up to 4 hours. Remove 1 hour before baking.
- No-boil lasagne noodles are available in many supermarkets.
- Servings Per Recipe 12
- Fat, total(g)26,
- sat. fat(g)11,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet