Hearty Pot Roast
- 2 pounds trimmed beef bottom round roast
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 14 1/2ounce can beef broth plus enough water to equal 2 cups
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 3 inch strips orange peel
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds red potatoes, quartered
- 2 pounds carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat oven to 325 degree F. Heat large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until very hot. Add beef and cook until well browned on all sides; set aside.
2. Add onions to Dutch oven; cook until soft and beginning to brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in ginger, garlic, coriander, and cinnamon; cook 1 minute. Stir in broth, wine, molasses, orange peel, bay leaf, and pepper. Return beef to pot and bring to boil. Cover and transfer to oven. Roast 1-1/2 hours.
3. Add potatoes and carrots to Dutch oven and sprinkle with salt. Cover and roast 1 hour more. Remove beef and slice very thin. Serve with vegetables and juices. Sprinkle with parsley. Makes 8 servings.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare roast as directed in steps 1 and 2. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Skim fat. Reheat to boiling over medium heat. Continue as directed.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)7,
- sat. fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!