- 1 boneless beef brisket flat cut (5 lbs.), trimmed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 5 celery ribs, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 3 large onions, sliced thin
- 3 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Potato latkes, (optional)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Rinse beef under cold water and pat dry. Rub all over with minced garlic. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika.
2. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over high heat. Add beef and brown well on all sides, about 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Cover and bake 3 hours, then bake uncovered 30 minutes more. Transfer beef to serving platter; cover and keep warm. Strain cooking broth from vegetables; skim off fat. Slice beef and serve with broth, vegetables and potato latkes, if desired. Makes 8 servings.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare brisket. Cool. Cover beef, broth and vegetables separately, and refrigerate overnight. Return broth to Dutch oven and heat to boiling. Add meat and vegetables and reheat in 350 degree F. oven 30 minutes.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)18,
- sat. fat(g)6,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!