Yield: 7 dozen meatballs Prep 20 mins Cook 55 mins
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 cup masa harina
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 28 ounce cans tomatoes, drained
- 3 canned chipotle chiles in adobo*, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Fresh parsley or cilantro, for garnish
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1. Mash 4 of the garlic cloves to a paste with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt in a small bowl. Combine masa harina with water in a large bowl. Add pork, beef, egg, garlic paste, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper; mix well. Shape mixture into 1-inch balls.
2. In blender, puree tomatoes with remaining 2 garlic cloves until smooth, then press mixture through a sieve into a small bowl. Puree the chiles and 1 cup water in blender and strain into another small bowl.
3. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add tomato mixture, cover, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in bouillon and cumin and cook 2 minutes. Gradually add chile puree, tasting for spiciness after each addition.
4. Add meatballs and bring to a boil. Cover and cook 3 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, turning meatballs occasionally. Cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Reheat over medium heat, stirring gently, about 30 minutes or until hot. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with parsley or cilantro, if desired. Makes 7 dozen meatballs.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare meatballs. Cool. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 1 month.
- Fat, total(g)3,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!