Osso Buco with Pappardelle
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound veal stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound veal shank
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 26 ounce can whole tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound dried pappardelle or fettuccine, cooked according to package directions
1. Heat olive oil in large Dutch oven over high heat. Add veal stew and veal shank. Cook until veal is well browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to plate; set aside.
2. Reduce heat to medium. Add onions and carrot to Dutch oven; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute more. Carefully add tomatoes with juice, wine, broth, salt, pepper, and thyme, stirring to break up tomatoes.
3. Return veal to Dutch oven; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until meat is very tender, about 2 hours.
4. Remove veal shank. Separate the meat and marrow from thebones; stir meat and marrow back into sauce.
5. Toss sauce with hot pasta in large serving bowl. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)7,
- sat. fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet