- 1 pound Great Northern beans, rinsed and picked over
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 pound garlic sausage or kielbasa (halved lengthwise if thick), cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 14 ounce cans chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Place beans in large bowl; cover with 2 inches water and soak overnight. (To quick-soak: Combine beans with water to cover by 2 inches in a large saucepan and bring to boil; boil 2 minutes. Cover and let stand 1 hour.) Drain.
2. Heat oven to 350 degree F. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Sprinkle half the pork with salt and pepper; add to Dutch oven and brown well on all sides, 5 minutes; set aside. Repeat with remaining pork. Add onions to Dutch oven and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until tender, 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds. Return pork to Dutch oven and add sausage, beans, broth, water, bay leaf, thyme and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring to boil. Cover and transfer to oven.
3. Bake 1 hour. Combine wine and tomato paste and stir into pot. Bake, covered, 1 hour more. Sprinkle with parsley before serving. Makes 14 (1-cup) servings.
Make Ahead Tip
- Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours. Reheat in 350 degree F oven for 1 hour.
- Servings Per Recipe 14
- Fat, total(g)11,
- sat. fat(g)4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet