Red, White and Blue Sandwich
- 1 pound beef top loin steak
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound small white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 loaf Italian bread, split
- 1/4 pound Saga Blue cheese or other blue cheese, rind removed, broken into small pieces
1. Heat grill for direct grilling.
2. Sprinkle both sides of steak with the 1/2 teaspoon salt and the 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Grill steak over medium* heat 6 to 7 minutes per side or until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest side of steak registers 140 degrees F. Transfer to cutting board and let stand 5 minutes before slicing. (Internal temperature will increase to 145 degrees F. for medium-rare.)Make Mushroom Topping::
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat; add shallots and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook 30 seconds. Remove half mixture to cup; set aside. Add mushrooms, the 1/4 teaspoon salt and the 1/8 teaspoon pepper to skillet; cook 6 to 7 minutes or until golden.
4. Thinly slice steak. Spread bottom half of bread with shallot mixture. Arrange steak slices on top. Spoon on mushrooms, then divide and dot cheese over mushrooms. Cover with top half of bread and cut crosswise into 4 sandwiches. Makes 4 servings.
- To test for medium heat, you should be able to hold your hand over the coals at the height of the food for 4 seconds before you have to pull away.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)31,
- sat. fat(g)11,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet