Savory Spiced Pork
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup pickling spice
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 3 pound boneless pork loin roast, trimmed
- Cherry-Onion Marmalade (recipe follows)
1. In saucepan, combine 1 cup water, the sugar, kosher salt, pickling spice, fennel seeds and red pepper. Bring to boil; simmer 2 minutes. Cool. Pour into large resealable plastic storage bag. Add 3 cups water, pork and garlic; seal. Refrigerate 24 hours.
2. Drain and rinse pork. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before roasting.
3. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Place pork in shallow pan and roast for 55 minutes or until meat thermometer reaches 155 degrees F. Cool to room temperature. Slice thin and serve with Cherry-Onion Marmalade. Makes 8 servings.
Make Ahead Tip
- To make ahead, refrigerate pork in the sugar mixture up to 3 days. To roast the pork ahead, roast as directed. Wrap and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)19,
- sat. fat(g)7,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Yield: 2 cups
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped orange peel
- 1 cup red currant jelly
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 freshly ground black pepper
1. In bowl dissolve salt into water. Add minced onion; let stand 30 minutes. Drain. Meanwhile, in saucepan combine dried tart cherries, orange juice, water, dry sherry and chopped orange peel. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until 2 tablespoons liquid remain. Combine red currant jelly, fresh lemon juice, Dijon mustard and freshly ground black pepper in bowl. Stir in cherry mixture and drained onions. Makes 2 cups.