Spicy Pork and Bean Burritos
Yield: 8 burritos Prep 30 mins Cook 45 mins
- 1 jalapeno chile
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 pound boneless pork chops (about 2), trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground red pepper
- 1 cup chopped canned tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 ounce can (15 or 15-1/2 oz.) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ounce package (20 oz.) low-fat burrito-size flour tortillas
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Prepared salsa (optional)
1. Heat broiler. Line a small cookie sheet with foil. Broil chile 2 inches from heat, turning once, 8 to 10 minutes or until skin is charred on all sides. Wrap in foil and let stand until cool enough to handle, 10 minutes. Remove stem, peel and seeds from chile, then chop chile.
2. Meanwhile, on a sheet of waxed paper, rub 1/2 of the teaspoon cumin and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt on both sides of pork. Heat a 3-quart saucepan or small Dutch oven over medium-high heat 1 minute. Add oil and brown pork, 2 minutes per side. Transfer to cutting board; cut into 1/2-inch pieces and add to bowl. Set aside.
3. Reduce heat to medium; add chopped jalapeno, celery, onions, carrot, garlic, remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, cinnamon and ground red pepper. Cook, stirring, until onion softens, 5 to 8 minutes. Add canned tomatoes and cook 3 minutes or until heated through. Stir in broth, beans, pork and any juices. Bring to boil; cover and simmer 30 minutes. Uncover and cook until mixture thickens slightly, 15 to 20 minutes more. Stir in cilantro.
4. Meanwhile, heat oven to 350 degrees F. Transfer 1-1/2 cups bean mixture without pork to a food processor or blender and puree. (Return any pieces of pork to saucepan.) Return pureed bean mixture to saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat, just until heated through; be careful not to burn.
5. Microwave or steam tortillas according to package directions. Spoon 1/4 cup of the rice down center of one tortilla. Spoon 1/2 cup of the bean mixture on top of rice; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the cheese. Arrange 1/8 cup of the lettuce and 2 tablespoons of the fresh tomato on top of cheese; fold in sides of tortilla and roll up. Place burrito seam side down on cookie sheet. Cover loosely with foil and keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining tortillas, rice, bean mixture, cheese, lettuce and fresh tomato. Serve with lime wedges and salsa, if desired. Makes 8 burritos.
- Fat, total(g)8,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet