This spicy beef and bean casserole topped with polenta is sure to be an instant family favorite.
- 4 1/2 cups water (4 cups if using cornmeal)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups instant polenta or cornmeal, divided
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 19 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can salsa style tomato sauce or 1 can (14-1/2 oz.) chili-style tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 4 ounce can chopped green chiles
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Bring water and salt to boil in a large saucepan. Reserve 2 tablespoons instant polenta. Gradually whisk remaining polenta into boiling water. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup cheddar cheese. Stir remaining cheese into polenta.
2. Meanwhile, brown beef in large skillet over high heat. Drain fat from skillet and discard. Stir in beans, tomato sauce, corn, chiles, green onions and reserved polenta; heat through.
3. Spoon beef mixture into a shallow 2-quart casserole. Spoon polenta over top. Sprinkle with reserved cheddar. Place casserole on a jelly-roll pan. Bake 20 minutes or until top of pie begins to brown. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)27,
- sat. fat(g)13,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet