- 12 ounces dried fettuccine
- 2 cups 1 percent low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs, for garnish
1. Start to cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together milk and flour in a medium saucepan, until flour is blended. Add bay leaf and garlic and cook over medium heat 8 minutes, stirring often with a wooden spoon, until mixture becomes slightly thickened. With slotted spoon remove bay leaf and garlic. Add grated Romano cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg, stirring until cheese completely melts.
3. Drain pasta in a large colander; transfer to a bowl. Toss pasta with butter and chopped parsley, then stir in cheese sauce and toss again.
4. Spoon pasta into 4 shallow serving bowls; sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese. Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired. Serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)9,
- sat. fat(g)5,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet