Fettuccine with Grilled Summer Vegetables
- 4 large garlic cloves, skewered, unpeeled
- 2 green bell peppers, quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered
- 1 eggplant (1-1/2 lbs.), sliced lengthwise 1/2-inch thick
- 1 large red onion, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 large zucchini (1 lb.), sliced lengthwise 1/4-inch thick
- 8 large plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound dried fettuccine, cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat grill.
2. Brush garlic, bell peppers, eggplant, onion, zucchini and tomatoes with oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the salt. Grill vegetables over medium-hot* heat, turning occasionally, until vegetables are tender. (Allow 10 to 20 minutes for garlic, 12 to 15 minutes for bell peppers, 10 to 12 minutes for eggplant, 8 to 12 minutes for onion and 5 to 10 minutes for zucchini and tomatoes.)
3. Remove garlic from skin and mash with fork; set aside. Cool and peel bell peppers. Cut bell peppers and remaining grilled vegetables into bite-size pieces. Toss all the vegetables in a large serving bowl with basil, thyme, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, black pepper and mashed garlic. Toss with hot pasta. Makes 6 servings.
- To test for medium-hot heat, you should be able to hold your hand over the coals at the height of the food for 3 seconds before you have to pull away.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)13,
- sat. fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!