Fusilli with Clam Sauce
- 2 1/2 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed, or 2 cans * (10 oz. each) baby clams plus 1 bottle (8 oz.) clam juice
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter, optional
- 1 pound fusilli, cooked according to package directions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Combine fresh clams and wine in large Dutch oven. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-high and cook 7 to 9 minutes until clams open. (Discard any unopened clams.) Uncover pot and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook 3 minutes, until lightly browned. Add garlic, thyme, salt, and red pepper; cook 30 seconds more. Swirl in 1 tablespoon butter, if using canned clams.
3. Remove clams from shells and chop coarsely; set aside and discard shells. Pour clam liquid through large sieve lined with double layer of cheesecloth into onion mixture. Add chopped clams and bring to boil. Transfer half the clam sauce to a large bowl; add hot pasta and toss. Divide pasta among 6 serving bowls. Spoon remaining sauce over top; sprinkle with parsley. Makes 6 servings.
Note*For canned clams:
- Omit step #1. Drain juice from clams and reserve juice from clams in separate bowls. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook 3 minutes, until lightly browned. Add garlic, thyme, salt, and red pepper; cook 30 seconds more. Add wine and bring to boil; boil 30 seconds. Add reserved clam juice and bottle of clam juice; bring to boil and boil 5 minutes. Add reserved clams and 1 tablespoon butter or margarine and cook until heated through, 1 minute more. Transfer half the clam sauce to a large serving bowl; add hot pasta and toss. Spoon remaining sauce over top; sprinkle with parsley.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)7,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!