Orzo and Mushroom Risotto
- 2 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 pound sliced white mushrooms
- 1/2 pound orzo pasta
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Bring broth, water, and Italian seasoning to a simmer in saucepan.
2. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat. Add chicken and cook 1-1/2 minutes per side, until browned. Transfer with slotted spoon to bowl.
3. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add mushrooms; cover and cook 2 minutes until softened. Add orzo and cook 1 minute, until lightly toasted. Set 1 cup hot broth aside in glass measure. Gradually add remaining broth to pasta, 1 cup at a time, every 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Mixture will be soupy, but that's okay.) Add chicken and reserved 1 cup broth and cook 2 to 4 minutes more, until thickened. Stir in Parmesan.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)13,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!