Pasta with Grilled Vegetables
- 1 pound penne rigati or fusilli
- 1 eggplant (about 1 lb.)
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- Olive oil
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1. Heat grill. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Slice eggplant 3/4 inch thick. Cut tomatoes in half. Wrap garlic and 1 teaspoon oil in foil. Brush one side of eggplant slices and cut side of tomatoes with oil. Place eggplant and tomatoes on grill, oiled side down. Grill tomatoes 3 minutes and eggplant 4 minutes, until vegetables are softened. Add garlic packet and grill 2 to 3 minutes. Turn vegetables; brush with remaining oil in the cup. Grill tomatoes 2 to 3 minutes more and eggplant 4 to 5 minutes more, until charred. Unwrap garlic and transfer with vegetables to a bowl. Cover and cool, 5 minutes.
3. Skin tomatoes and chop. Return to bowl with any accumulated juices. Cut eggplant into 1/2-inch pieces. Stir in eggplant, basil, 2 tablespoons oil, salt, and pepper. Drain pasta; add and toss to coat. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)15,
- sat. fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!