Penne with Fennel and Peppers
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1 small bulb fennel with tops (6 oz.)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth, defatted*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound dried penne or ziti pasta, cooked according to package directions
1. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cut fronds from fennel and chop enough fronds to equal 1/4 cup; set aside. Slice bulb into thin strips. Add fennel and bell peppers to skillet; cook until just tender, 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in broth, salt, and black pepper. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Toss sauce with hot pasta in serving bowl. Sprinkle with fronds. Makes 4 servings.
- To defat broth, place it in the freezer for 30 minutes or refrigerate it for 4 hours or overnight. Remove fat with slotted spoon.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)4,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet