Perfect Pie Crust
Yield: 2 single crusts Start to Finish 15 mins
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup chilled shortening
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 cup very cold water
1. In a food processor pulse together flour, salt and sugar. Add butter and shortening. Pulse 8 to 10 times or until mixture resembles coarse crumbs and some of the butter is pea-size. (Alternately, combine in a bowl using a pastry blender or a fork.)
2. Combine vinegar with cold water. While pulsing crumb mixture in processor, drizzle in just enough water moisture to form dough, 1/3 to 1/2 cup. (dough will hold together when you pinch it.) Halve dough, wrap in plastic wrap and press into disks. Chill for 1 hr or until read to use. May be frozen for up to 2 months.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!