- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lime zest
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lime zest
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 7 cups fresh raspberries or blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. With fingers or a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cream just until mixture comes together. Gently knead in bowl just until it forms a dough.Make filling::
2. In a large bowl whisk together flour, juice, and zest until smooth. Add 1 cup sugar and whisk until blended. Gently stir in berries to coat with sugar mixture. Divide berries evenly among 8 ramekins. Top each with 1/8 of dough. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar and bake on a cookie sheet until berries are bubbling and top is golden brown and cooked through, about 25 minutes. Makes 8 servings.
TipHow to Top This:
- Some cobblers have a thin, flaky pastry or cake batter topping, but we prefer the taste, look and texture of the traditional biscuit dough. This dessert is so easy to prepare you'll be able to pop it in the oven in no time.
- For quick assembly, have all ingredients ready before you start. FYI, adding cornmeal gives the biscuit a crispy texture and golden color.
- Don't overwork the dough, or it will become tough. Mix gently with your hands until any streaks of flour have disappeared.
- Pat the dough until 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick, being sure to leave some filling visible so you can check for doneness.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)11,
- sat. fat(g)6,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!