Black Bottom Pie
- 1 single crust of Perfect Piecrust prebaked in a 9-inch pie plate (see recipe center)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
1. In a heavy saucepan, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar, cocoa, 1/4 cup cornstarch and 1-3/4 cups half-and-half. Place over medium-high heat and stir until sugar is just dissolved, about 2 min. Whisk in 4 egg yolks; reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring constantly, until custard thickens and just boils, about 5 min. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate and 1 tsp vanilla. Place pan in a bowl of ice and water and stir occasionally until custard cools.
2. Remove from ice bath, dry pan bottom and transfer custard to prepared crust. Cover with plastic wrap, gently pressing wrap onto surface of custard; refrigerate.
3. In another heavy saucepan, stir together 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup cornstarch and 1-3/4 cups half-and-half. Place over medium-high heat and stir 2 min. Reduce heat to medium and whisk in 4 egg yolks. Cook, stirring constantly, until custard thickens and just boils, about 5 min. Remove from heat and stir in 1 tsp vanilla and butter. Cool custard as above, then spoon on top of chocolate filling and smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, at least 3 hr.
4. Whip cream and confectioners' sugar until firm peaks form and spread onto chilled pie. Garnish with chocolate curls. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)47,
- sat. fat(g)27,
- Monosaturated fat(g)14,
- Polyunsaturated fat(g)3,
- vit. A(IU)1458,
- vit. C(mg)1,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6)(mg)0,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12)(µg)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet